Sometimes life gets so busy that all you really want is hummus. Hummus is the go-to anytime, anywhere food. Everyone loves hummus and it’s suitable to just about anyones diet (score!). You can bring hummus on picnics or to a potluck, you can serve hummus as an appetizer, a side dish or bring it to parties, sleepovers, game days….you name it, hummus is there!
I’m very bad when it comes to making large batches of food and then wasting it over the week, because I generally dislike leftovers (I know, I’m awful, but I’m getting better, I swear!). So when it came time to make this hummus, I decided to make just a small batch. Boy, was this a mistake. This hummus was gone in 2 days. Yup, 2 days. I definitely could have eaten it all in 1 serving, but then I would just be sad.
I’ve been loving this hummus spread onto toast with tomato slices, mixed into simple arugula salads and eating it with red pepper slices. It also tastes great with my Chickpea Carrot and Zucchini Fritters, with these wraps, and well, just about anything and everything.
Hummus is also a great way to get some protein in. Chickpeas and tahini are very affordable and easy to find in Turkish supermarkets. I like to buy giant jars of chickpeas because I use them so quickly throughout the week. I often toss them into salads, pastas, stir-fries or make hummus. I’ve been experimenting with different hummus flavours and I can’t wait to share some more hummus-lovin’ on the blog. If you’d like to see a certain flavour of hummus, comment below and I’ll see what I can whip up for ya! But for now, dig in to this Creamy Tahini Hummus. I hope you enjoy it and much as I enjoyed making it! X
- 500g of chickpeas (about the size of an average chickpea can)
- 2 heaping tbsp of tahini
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- a shake of cayenne pepper
- Rinse and drain the chickpeas. Add the chickpeas to a food processor and blend until creamy.
- Add the tahini and blend again, for another few minutes. Then add the olive oil, garlic clove, salt and spices. Keep blending for another 2 minutes or so. For best results, make sure the hummus is blended really well and that it is very creamy.
- Serve fresh or store in a tupperware in the fridge.
- Instead of a food processor, a hand mixer works well also.