A healthy dairy-free Cesar salad? Really?
Yes! This salad is, in fact, healthy and delicious. Two can play at this game!
It’s digestion month here at The Pure Life and this is a recipe that I just couldn’t wait to share! Since many people deal with intolerances to dairy and eggs, I wanted to share a twist on a recipe that I personally loved growing up. My grandpa would make big bowls of homemade Cesar salad dressing with tons of garlic, freshly cracked pepper and anchovies. Unfortunately, over the years, I chose to not eat it anymore, because of the raw egg and parmesan cheese in the dressing.
This year, I was inspired by two of my favourite health bloggers, Joy from Joyous Health and Angela from Oh She Glows to whip up a healthy plant-based version of a Cesar salad. And oh man, I was not disappointed!
This recipe is:
- packed with healthy fats to balance hormones, reduce inflammation in the body and promote healthy skin
- packed with immune-boosting fresh garlic and black pepper
- super versatile: I love using it on a classic bed of romaine, or switching it up with massaged kale and spinach or even in a veggie wrap or a rice bowl.
- so easy to make! You can whip it up in your blender in less than 5 minutes.
- 2 cups cashews - soaked for about an hour
- 1/4 cup of hemp seeds
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp capers
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Tons of pepper and a pinch of Himalayan salt
- About 1/2 cup water
- Your choice of lettuce - I like romaine, to serve
- 1/2 cup of chickpeas, rinsed, to serve
- Blend in a blender or food processor until super creamy. With your hands, mix about 1/2 of the sauce with 3 heads of chopped organic romaine lettuce and 1 cup of chickpeas. Top with black pepper and lemon juice.
I’d love to hear from you! Have you tried this recipe? What did you think?