Let me tell you, I’ve become kind of a pro at hiding vegetables in food. This hidden veggie pasta sauce is perfect for picky eaters, children and those days where you just don’t feel like eating vegetables!
I’ve been meaning to share this recipe for ages, as it’s been a recipe that has stuck with me since day 1. It was actually one of the very first recipes I learned how to cook because I have a long love-affair history with pasta. I love making my own pasta sauce so that I know exactly what goes into it – ripe, locally grown tomatoes, homegrown basil and a pinch of sea salt. I hope you love this pasta sauce just as much as I do!
Hidden Veggie Pasta Sauce
- 3 tbsp quality olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 7-8 organic ripe tomatoes (best to let sit on the counter for a few days to ripen up), chopped
- 4 large carrots, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup of mushrooms, chopped
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 4 tbsp dried herbs or 1 bunch of fresh herbs (basil, parsley, etc.)
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp. each of sea salt and black pepper
- 2 cups of pureed organic tomatoes (passata)
- 2 cups of vegetable stock or filtered water
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, saute the onion and garlic cloves in the olive oil for 1-2 minutes until translucent.
- Add the vegetables and saute for about 5 minutes, until almost browned, to add flavour.
- Reduce to a low heat. Add the herbs, salt and pepper and saute some more. Add the passata and mix some more.
- Bring to high heat, add the veggie stock or water and then let it simmer for another 20 minutes or so until the vegetables are soft. Taste and add salt, pepper or herbs accordingly. I like mine with lots of dried herbs so I always add extra, but this is optional!
- In a high-speed blender (preferably a vitamix), blend the sauce until really smooth. Be mindful of the heat and let the sauce cool before blending. Pour into a glass container and let cool even more with the lid off for about 30 minutes. Close and store in the fridge for up to 5 days. You can alternatively freeze this sauce in plastic bags once it has cooled.
- Serve with your favourite pasta.