Turmeric! The anti-inflammatory goddess that stains our beautifully white kitchen cloths, makes our curries extra yellow and fights all of the cancers away. Oh, turmeric, I really do love you.
I was first introduced to turmeric just a few years ago by a friend who had an East Indian background and convinced me to put some fresh turmeric on a wound. Guess what? It healed overnight. I then thought to myself that I should probably be adding turmeric to everything! And that is how the obsession began. I add turmeric to my oats, my curries, pasta, stir-fries, juices, smoothies! This Turmeric Lemonade is the easiest + most refreshing drink in the summer, and I drink it warm in the colder months. Either way, it’s a huge benefit to your health and I want to share with you just how easy this recipe is!
As mentioned in my ode to Turmeric Porridge, turmeric can do so many amazing things for our body:
- it’s packed with minerals like iron, calcium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, zinc
- it contains vitamins to boost energy and support your immune system such as B1, B2, B3 and Vitamin C
- it contains phytochemicals, which are essential in disease prevention
- curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric, is known to fight free radicals and has an anti-inflammatory & antibiotic effect
- helps to lower cholesterol levels and protects the liver against toxins
We all know that lemons are also amazing for detoxification + are a liver loving food and help to boost digestion. Raw honey is a great food to add if you have seasonal allergies, or you can sweeten with a touch of pure maple syrup which contains some minerals. Filtered water is important, as we don’t want any nasty chlorine in our body, so I use a Britta filter. If you want to heat this up, I love using almond milk instead of water for a creamier treat. Or use the water and drink as a tea – both are delicious!
And now… How to Make Turmeric Lemonade
what you will need
2 organic lemons
1/2 tsp. of pure turmeric or 4 turmeric capsules
1 inch of fresh ginger
raw honey or pure Canadian maple syrup
- In order to make this a total health bomb, you want to start off with good quality organic lemons. Meyer lemons work really well because they are extra sweet! Juice the lemons by squeezing them over your hand and gather the seeds. Add them to your blender.
- Next add about 1/2 tsp. of ground pure turmeric, or 4 turmeric capsules (Organika Health recently gave me some to try and I love theirs!). You can also use cold-pressed turmeric juice from turmeric root if you’re feeling super fancy and you have a juicer handy. This makes it super fresh! This is going to make all your inflammation stay home today (and leave you alone).
- Now you want to add about an inch of fresh ginger root to the blender. This is the super anti-bacterial/anti-viral powerhouse!
- Now add about 250ml of filtered water and blend up! Here you can add about 2 tsp. of raw honey or maple syrup if you don’t want a super bitter drink. Enjoy cold over ice or warm up on the stove. Enjoy.