You guys!! There is nothing better than a big bowl of warm porridge. Although I love my smoothies for breakfast, I can’t say no to a cozy bowl of cooked oats. On rainy days, making warm porridge is the most comforting thing in the world to me. So I present to you…PB & J porridge!
This PB & J Porridge:
- is exceptionally comforting and warming, especially on a cold Winter’s day!
- won’t make your blood sugar spike and will keep you energized throughout the morning
- is packed with nutrient-dense ingredients to help balance hormones, support healthy digestion and promote energy!
- is just plain old delicious – why argue with that?
Boost your porridge
Seeds, oats and nut butter all contain essential amino acids and are good sources of protein, but to up the protein content in this PB & J porridge, simply add a few tbsp of your favourite vegan protein powder (I like vanilla pea protein). This is a great idea for those who experience energy drops throughout the day or those who exercise before breakfast.
To make a healthier berry jam alternative, try my Chia Seed Jam recipe! It’s so easy to make and keeps for a while.
Don’t like warm porridge? Try this recipe as overnight oats! Simply mix together cold and leave in the fridge for a delicious on-the-go breaky the next day. Simple as that!
PB & J Porridge
A comforting breakfast option packed with protein
- 1/4 cup of rolled whole oats
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/2 cup of plant milk (I like coconut)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp seeds (I like chia)
- optional: 2 tbsp vegan vanilla protein powder, 1 tbsp raw manuka honey or maple syrup
- To top: unsweetened coconut yoghurt, sliced almonds, organic peanut butter and a handful of berries (fresh or frozen)
- Step 1 Add the oats to a medium sized pot and give them a good rinse (this helps remove phytic acid for healthy digestion).
- Step 2 Over medium heat, slowly cook the oats in the water, plant milk and cinnamon, stirring well.
- Step 3 Once nice and cooked (about 5 minutes), add in the seeds and optional protein powder and sweetener.
- Step 4 Top with a tbsp of each: coconut yoghurt, peanut butter and berries. Enjoy warm or take to work in a glass storage container!