You will never believe that these raw vegan caramel slices are healthy! Packed with juicy medjool dates, nuts and raw chocolate, these slices make for the best after dinner snack. They are naturally vegan and gluten-free, so you can share them with all of your friends (or not, that’s cool too). You may have seen me post about these goodies on Instagram, here and here, but today I am sharing the full-on recipe so you can get your caramel chocolatey goodness on.
Gooey Caramel. Salted Chocolate. Need I say more?
Raw Vegan Salted Caramel Slices
A healthy dessert!
- 1st BASE LAYER
- 1/2 cup of cashews
- 1 cup of almonds
- 1 tsp. of vanilla bean powder or pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup packed pitted medjool dates, soaked and drained
- 3/4 cup of quick oats
- 2nd CARAMEL LAYER
- 2 cups of packed pitted medjool dates, pitted and soaked for at least 1 hour and drained
- 1 tbsp. of cashew butter or tahini
- Pinch of Himalayan salt
- 3rd CHOCOLATE LAYER
- 1 cup of raw cacao
- 1/2 cup of coconut oil
- 1/4 cup of pure maple syrup
- Step 1 For the base layer, soak the nuts while you lay out the rest of the ingredients and tools for your recipe (about 10 minutes). Drain the water, and then add the nuts to a food processor, slowly adding the rest of the base ingredients. Blend until sticky and combined. Spread evenly in an 8×8 inch pan lined with parchment paper, and press down firmly. Put in freezer to set.
- Step 2 For the caramel layer, blend the medjool dates, cashew butter and salt in a food processor until super creamy. Layer onto the set base layer.
- Step 3 For the last chocolate layer, add the raw cocoa, coconut oil and maple syrup to saucepan and heat on low until melted and nicely combined. Stir often and then set aside. This will be your chocolate layer! Spread evenly and thinly along the caramel layer. Top with rock salt or sea salt flakes. Leave in freezer and cut into squares after 2 hours or so.
- Step 4 Store in Tupperware in freezer, Enjoy!