Let’s talk veggies.
Honestly, is there anything better than a big bowl of roasted veggies? I think they are so underrated. Especially when they’re drizzled with tahini and fresh lemon juice – yes, please.
Eating raw veggies is amazing, but it’s also important to include some cooked veg into your diet, especially heart root vegetables like sweet potato, beets, carrots, etc.
Roasting veggies can be:
- Seriously grounding. Cooked food is often associated with being “grounding” or “comforting” and helps to bring us back down to earth.
- Good for digestion. They are often easier to digest because you are breaking down the cellulose by heating them, and giving your digestive system a bit of a break.
- Such a great way to get in a whole whack of veg! Plus roasted veggies are often super kid-friendly.
So, what’s the deal with oil?
I use avocado oil when roasting or cooking at high temperatures because it has a higher smoke point (about 520F), and coconut oil if it’s under 350F. If you find a good quality unrefined olive oil, you can also use this at higher temperatures under 450F. Beneficial nutrients and phytochemical are found in unrefined oils and we want to keep those intact while cooking. Do not use flax seed oil or walnut oil as these have very low smoke points.
Can I cook without the oil?
Totally! If that’s what makes you feel good, then skip the oil and just roast the veggies as they are! You can add healthy fats afterwards if you like, such as hemp seeds and avocado.
Try these veggies:
- red pepper
- brussels sprouts
- sweet potato
- the list is endless..!
This Roasted Veggie, Quinoa & Tahini Bowl is epic.
- 1 large beefsteak tomato
- 1 medium sized sweet potato
- 1 medium sized zucchini
- 1 small eggplant
- 3 carrots
- 1/2 head of broccoli
- any other veggies you like to roast
- 1/4 cup of avocado oil
- 1 cup of cooked quinoa
- 1/2 of an avocado
- 1/4 cup of tahini (sesame seed paste)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Chop the veggies into large chunks and add to a large mixing bowl.
- Add 1/4 cup of avocado oil and any seasonings you would like to add, like rosemary or cayenne pepper.
- Roast the veggies at 425F for about 25 minutes, or until golden brown. The broccoli may need to be removed quicker than the others.
- Turn off the oven, remove from heat and add to two bowls. Add the scoops of quinoa, avocado and drizzle with tahini. Top with salt and pepper. Enjoy!