You know, sometimes you just want a sandwich….
I think Berlin has put something in the water because I’VE NEVER FELT SO GOOD. Lately, I feel light, energetic, happy, positive, bubbly, confident and just plain old GOOD. Good mood = happy Sisley = cool recipes = happy YOU! Kinda neat how that works hey?
This sandwich is packed with some super awesome ingredients. You’ve got your excellent source of protein from the chickpeas, beautiful healthy fats from the avocado, iron from the spinach, juicy vitamin C from the tomato plus a whole bunch of spices! The spices make this sandwich extra special I think. Plus, I snuck a pickle in there because I was having some serious #picklecravings – you know the ones? which makes it super crunchy! The reason I called this sandwich the “Rustic Smashed Chickpea & Avocado Sandwich” is because when I toasted the bread, it brought the sandwich to life. I tried the sandwich both ways, once without toasting the bread and once with. Toasting it makes the outside crunchy and the insides devine, because they are softer, so I definitely recommend toasting the bread! For the bread, I used a locally handcrafted gluten-free buckwheat sourdough loaf that I buy on the weekly market (yes, this exists) which is out of this world. I asked the baker what the ingredients were the other day because I just couldn’t believe that there was no sugar or eggs in the bread- it is just SO GOOD. She replied with a proud smile, “just the buckwheat flour, “Sauerteig” (leaven), water and love” – like, how!? This woman is pure genius to me. I begged her to teach me how to make it! Anyways, this bread is fabulous but I would recommend using either a rice flour bread, a dark rye bread or a sourdough bread for this sandwich. None of that “toaster bread” stuff! Now happy sandwich making folks!
- 4 slices of buckwheat, rice, sourdough or rye bread
- 1 cup of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 large avocado
- 1 pickle, optional
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp curry powder
- Salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp flax seed oil
- 4-6 large slices of tomato
- 1 large handful of baby spinach
- First, add the chickpeas to a bowl and lightly mash with a fork. Add the avocado and do the same until loosely combined. If you want to add the pickle, chop it up into really small pieces and stir into the mixture. Add the spices, salt, pepper, lemon juice and flax seed oil and mix well.
- Lightly toast the bread. Spread about 2 tbsp of the mixture onto each slice of bread (half of the slices). Add the tomato slices and the spinach leaves and close the sandwiches.
- Enjoy with some homemade lemonade and apple slices with almond butter (highly recommended!)