Hurray – it’s the first day of Spring. When I think of Spring, I think of light rain, blossoming flowers, farmers markets and delicious salads! Spring is a natural time for our bodies to want to detox, hence the importance of adding detox-friendly foods into our diet, such as
- bitter vegetables like arugula, dandelion greens, celery
- fiber-rich grains like wild rice and dark rye bread
- citrusy fruits like lemons and grapefruits, rhubarb
I went to my local produce store to grab a few things and whipped up this salad for you guys. It’s a great mix of fresh fruits and bitter vegetables, protein and healthy fats.
This salad is a contribution to Joyous Health’s celebration of the first day of Spring. Along with a few other Canadian girls, we are celebrating by making some of our favourite salads combos!
Try these salad recipes, too!
- Aleyda (The Dish On Healthy) – Crunchy Thai Quinoa Salad
- Kim D’eon – Shred Into Spring Salad
- Jordana Hart (ihartnutrition) – Chickpea Cucumber Salad
- Julie Daniluk- Fennel Ginger Salad
- Joy McCarthy (Joyous Health) – Spring Inspired Detox Salad
- Marni Wasserman – Zesty Apple Fennel Salad
- Marta (Organic Food For Kids) – Spring Asparagus & Spinach Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing
- Meghan Telpner – Wild Rice Protein Salad
- Rachel Bies (The Healthy Bies) – Sour Cabbage & Fennel Salad
- Rachel Molenda – Dandelion Citrus Salad
- Samantha Gladish (Holistic Wellness) – Tuscan Kale & Apple Salad
- 2 large sweet potatoes, cut into small cubes
- 1 tbsp. of coconut oil
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp. of cumin
- 1/4 tsp. of cinnamon
- 4 large handfuls of arugula
- 2 cups of cooked quinoa
- 1 pear, sliced thinly or chopped into small cubes
- 1 small zucchini, grated
- 1/4 cup of sunflower seeds
- The juice of 2 lemons
- 2 tbsp. of good quality olive oil
- Pinch of Himalayan salt
- Cracked black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450F.
- In a small bowl, add the sweet potato, coconut oil, maple syrup, cumin and cinnamon and bake for about 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
- In a large bowl, combine the arugula, quinoa, pear, zucchini, sunflower seeds, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and black pepper.
- Next add the sweet potato cubes and mix well.