Joy from Joyous Health has been a huge inspiration to me this past year. Not only is she a super mom, but she also runs her own business and has just launched her second book, Joyous Detox this year. WOW! This book is actually incredible, it explains why she includes certain foods in her recipes and how they help to detox our body. I’m already addicted to the Best Ever Hemp Caesar Salad Dressing and the No-Bake Carrot Cake Squares with Lemon Icing…which I am sharing with you today!
This recipe is so fresh and nourishing – you won’t believe its detox friendly! They are best served with a hot matcha latte or turmeric tea. Delish.
Don’t forget to enter our cookbook giveaway (read below!)
- 12 Medjool dates, pitted
- 3 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 and 1/2 cups (375ml) walnuts
- 1 cup (250ml) unsweetened, unsulphured shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup (125ml) shelled hemp seeds or vanilla plant-based protein powder
- 1/2 cup (125ml) honey
- 2 tsp. (10ml) pure vanilla extract (if not using vanilla protein powder)
- 2 tsp. (10ml) cinnamon
- 1 tsp. (5ml) nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. (2ml) ground cloves
- Lemon Icing
- 1/2 cup (125ml) coconut butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup (60ml) honey
- 1 tsp. (5ml) pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. (2ml) lemon zest
- 2 tbsp. (30ml) almond milk (optional)
- To make the cake, place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until almost smooth. You may need to do this in two batches.
- Press mixture into an 8-inch (2 L) square cake pan. Chill in fridge for 1 to 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, to make the icing, in the cleaned food processor, combine the coconut butter, honey, vanilla and lemon zest. Blend until creamy. Add almond milk if you want a thinner consistency.
- Spread icing evenly on top of chilled cake. Refrigerate or freeze until ready to enjoy.
- Joyous Tip
- The cake will be easier to cut if you freeze it. Just let it sit for a few minutes once you remove it from the freezer, otherwise the icing will be crumbly when you cut it.
- Pure Life Tip
- I used cashews instead of coconut butter and it worked just as great!
– Cookbook Giveaway –
I also have some really exciting news! We are doing a giveaway for the Joyous Detox cookbook over on Instagram – simply tag 2 friends in the post and we will choose a winner on Friday, February 10th. Open to Canadian residents only. Joy’s cookbook is packed with awesome recipes, like the Sesame Orange Quinoa Bowl, Citrus Fennel Salad with Toasted Sunflower Seeds and the Green Sparkle Smoothie!!