Bulletproof coffees are all the rage! Ali and I got into this nifty brain tonic after we attended the Whistler Wanderlust festival in 2017 and couldn’t stop talking about the delicious creamy goodness they served. Being dairy free, we decided to switch it up a little and use slightly different ingredients, hence why this is a vegan bulletproof recipe.
What are the benefits of Bulletproof coffee?
This special spin-off blend is incredible for brain health, digestion, metabolism and so much more! We initially loved the blend for it’s incredible health properties but decided to keep it up after feeling better and more satiated in the mornings.
The benefits of bulletproof coffee include:
- a great source of healthy fats makes this blend good for hormone balancing by preventing raised cortisol (stress hormone) levels to spike and keeping your blood sugar levels balanced, too.
- it keeps you satiated – instead of drinking a cup of coffee, you’re getting a good hit of nutrients first thing in the morning.
- It’s pure brain fuel – MCTs in coconut oil are amazing fuel for memory and brain health.
Note: Drink a bulletproof coffee ~30 mins before your breakfast for the best results and to avoid any digestive upset.
What if I don’t drink coffee?
No coffee, no problem! Mix these pods with your favourite warm beverage in the morning (matcha powder, turmeric latte mix, chai tea, etc.) to make it work for you. I love a good Bulletproof Matcha – read more about matcha here.
Follow these rules
- Only use fair-trade (single origin if possible) organic coffee beans to get the best benefit out of your drink! For matcha, choose ceremonial grade from Japan.
- If you can get your hands on MCT oil, that’s awesome! If not, stick to raw, virgin organic coconut oil for the best benefits.
- Use organic cacao butter if possible. Alternatively, use coconut butter or grass fed unsalted butter if not dairy-free.
- Try boosting your bulletproof by adding 1 tsp of your favourite adaptogen (I love maca powder), a spoonful of almond butter or a tablespoon of hemp seeds.
How to make vegan bulletproof coffee…
Vegan Bulletproof Pods
A dairy-free version of the classic Bulletproof coffee
- 80g organic quality cacao butter
- 5 tbsp raw coconut oil, MCT oil or Brain Octane oil
- 1 tbsp. ceylon cinnamon
- optional but recommended: 1 tbsp maple syrup or manuka honey, 1 tbsp pure vanilla bean paste
- Step 1 In a DIY double boiler, add the ingredients to the bowl over boiling water.
- Step 2 Pour the mixture into a baking mould or an ice cube tray and set in the freezer overnight.
- Step 3 Transfer to a Tupperware and keep in the freezer.
- Step 4 To make the coffee, blend 1-2 pods with 1 cup of coffee or 1 espresso shot until frothy. Enjoy fresh!