If you haven’t realized already, I’m pretty obsessed with green smoothies! I also love adding fun superfoods to my smoothies for awesome nutritional benefits. Superfoods are named “superfoods” for their amazing nutritional properties. Let’s take spirulina, for example. This little algae is actually a complete protein, which is a great addition to your smoothies, which is sometimes difficult for vegetarians to add to their diet. Other examples of complete proteins are quinoa, buckwheat, soy, chia and hemp seeds. Spirulina also has tons of antioxidants, one of which contains anti-inflammatory properties. My favourite part of spirulina is that it is packed with chlorophyll, which gives it it’s awesome green colour and helps remove toxins from the blood stream! Spirulina also contains tons of vitamins and minerals, including calcium which is great for your bones, even 26x more than you’d find in milk! (yay for strong bones!). I like this smoothie because it is pretty simple and digests really nicely, especially if the bananas are quite ripe and spotty, which makes the smoothie much sweeter! I also definitely recommend choosing an organic spirulina because additives are kinda yucky! Spirulina straight up tastes like algae, but if you mix it with the right ingredients, like this Spinach & Spirulina Smoothie, you will get all the nutritional benefits with an awesome taste – pretty neat right?
- 4 frozen bananas, cut into chunks
- 2 large handfuls of spinach
- 1 tsp spirulina powder
- 200ml fresh orange juice or 200ml water
- 2 medjool dates, optional and/or 1/2 tsp maca powder, for sweetness
- Peel, chop and freeze the bananas if you haven't already done so. Add all of the ingredients to a blender and blend until creamy! Enjoy in a chilled glass.
- The dates and/or maca powder will add a really delicious sweetness to the smoothie, but if you're not such a big sweet tooth then you can leave them out!