Hooray! Fall is here! And Canadian Thanksgiving is just around the corner. This simple warmed pumpkin spice porridge is what has been keeping me warm on these chillier mornings and I can’t wait to share the recipe with you guys. Porridge is actually such a simple, hearty meal that is suitable for the whole family. It only takes 10 minutes to make and will give you lots of energy throughout the day. Oats contain lots of fibre which helps keep your digestive system healthy, helps lower bad cholesterol and they help stabilize your blood sugar. Pumpkin seeds are a great source of zinc which help with sexual vitality, cinnamon is also a blood sugar stabilizer and coconut milks is a really great source of a healthy fat, great for healthy skin and hair. So not only is this breakfast totally delicious and satisfying, but you will feel great after eating it because of all the awesome health benefits.
- 1/2 cup of oats (steel cut or quick oats, either work!)
- 1/2 cup of water, or more as needed
- 1/2 cup of canned coconut milk
- 1 tsp of pumpkin spice
- 1 tbsp 100% Canadian maple syrup
- 1 banana
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- Mix all ingredients together in a pot on low heat. Mash the banana in well. Mix well until nicely cooked and top with desired toppings. I love sliced banana, pumpkin seeds, mulberries, maple syrup, coconut sugar and a splash of coconut milk.