The requests for healthy dinners, easy vegan lunch recipes and warming dishes continues, so today I’m sharing of one my favourite bowls lately! This Broccoli, Quinoa and Pumpkin Bowl is a plant-based dish that will make you feel amaaazing.
This Broccoli, Quinoa and Pumpkin Bowl is:
- Great for liver health, skin health and hormone balancing
- Ladies! This bowl is a great option during your luteal phase
- Packed with protein and fibre for a balanced meal
- Perfect for lunches and easy dinners (bulk prepping these ingredients is super easy!)
- Delicious for all seasons: can be eaten warm in the cooler months or cold in the warmer months
The benefits of fibre
Broccoli quinoa and pumpkin are all wonderful sources of fibre. Fibre is essential for healthy digestion, happy hormones and weight management. Without enough fibre in the diet, we often see constipation, an overburdened liver and acne. Toxins are not able to leave the body and then end up circulating in the lymphatic system, causing acne, body odour and uncomfortable poops (we’ve all been there!). While fibre is not the answer to everything (like all things!), it does play a very important role in a healthy diet. This Broccoli, Quinoa and Pumpkin bowl is a great way to boost your fibre intake naturally and deliciously.
The benefits of liver-loving foods
The liver is a super important organ in the body. Read more about liver health here and how it’s connected to skin health, hormone health and so much more!
Broccoli is a great liver-loving food because it is a cruciferous vegetable, containing high amounts of sulphur-containing substances, which plays a super important role in liver health.
Pumpkin is a great liver-loving food because it contains high amounts of antioxidant Beta Carotene, which helps to cleanse and strengthen the liver. Beta Carotene is what makes pumpkin orange!
Quinoa is a great liver-loving food because it is a “complete protein”, meaning it contains essential amino acids for Phase 2 of liver detoxification – Yay healthy skin and happy hormones!
Tahini is also a great liver-loving food because it contains Methionine, which aids in liver detoxification. Not to mention it’s high in iron and B vitamins, great for energy!
Broccoli, Quinoa and Pumpkin Bowl
A delicious, liver-loving plant-based bowl.
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 small pumpkin or 3 large handfuls chopped pumpkin
- 1 small head of broccoli
- 1/4 cup tahini
- Olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper, fresh basil, to serve
- Step 1 In a small bowl, soak or rinse the quinoa while you chop the other ingredients.
- Step 2 Chop the pumpkin into small cubes and the broccoli into small florets.
- Step 3 Cook the quinoa by adding 1/2 cup quinoa to 1/2 cup water, bringing it to a bowl and then reducing to simmer. Cook for about 8-10 minutes, until fluffy and season with olive oil, salt, pepper and lemon juice.
- Step 4 In a large pan or pot, add the coconut oil, paprika, oregano and pumpkin pieces. Saute for a few minutes and then add about 1/4 cup of water and let the pumpkin steam with a lid on. Add the honey and cook until browned. Keep an eye on the pumpkin and cook until soft and fragrant.
- Step 5 Remove from the heat and add the cooked quinoa and pumpkin to two bows. In the same pot or pan, add the broccoli with a bit of coconut oil, salt, pepper and lemon juice. Add a splash of water and panfry until crispy. Add this to the bowls.
- Step 6 Top with tahini, salt, pepper and basil! Enjoy!