It has been an absolutely crazy week. Returning from the Seychelles over the course of 3 days of delayed flights, missing luggage and the most terrifying turbulence I have ever experienced, I am finally settled back in Berlin. Good news is I’m healthy (besides an unfortunate winter cold), my luggage has returned and I survived the turbulence (just a little jet stream interference). I must say, it has also been an exciting week; I returned to work, which was a very successful week. The internet in our apartment broke, so I have set up camp at a local bagel shop down the street to steal some wifi. I also have therefore had some extra time to read my book and create some really yummy recipes- like these Cardamom Coconut Oats with Persimmon & Mandarin Oranges.
It’s quite rare that I nail a recipe the first time I make it, but these oats were surprisingly absolutely PERFECT the first time around. My roommate was a little nervous to try this tower of um, orange oat stuff? but she was happily surprised when she tried a spoonful. I’ve been recreating this recipe all weekend because I just can’t get enough of it. I get tons of mandarin oranges on the Turkish market here for quite cheap so I’m always throwing them into things, but never thought to put them in my oats (silly me). I decided to put my new cardamom spice to use and throw in some perfectly-ripe persimmons from the market and with a bit of creamy almond milk & coconut…ladies and gentlemen…we’ve got a winner!
I don’t usually stomach large breakfasts with many ingredients too well, but these oats hit the spot. They keep my tummy full until lunch time and aren’t difficult for my body to digest whatsoever! And I’m almost positive you will love them as much as I do. Despite the lengthy title, these oats are actually super quick to make. I’d recommend making a double or even triple batch for you and a loved one, or for breakfast the next morning. I hope you enjoy them as much as I enjoyed making them! X
- 1/2 cup of flaked oats
- 1/2 cup of almond or coconut milk
- 1/2 cup of water
- 2 tbsp shredded coconut
- 1 tsp chia seeds, optional
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 a ripe banana
- 1 small persimmon
- 1 mandarin orange, peeled
- In a bowl, mix the oats, almond milk, shredded coconut, chia seeds, honey and cardamom.
- In a food processor or high-speed blender, blend the banana and persimmon until roughly chopped.
- Mix the banana-persimmon mixture with the oat mixture. Add the mandarin orange slices.
- Eat immediately or store in a jar in the fridge for a quick and easy breakfast.
- Note that the chia seeds are optional. I add chia seeds because they help bind the oats, plus they add an awesome nutrient punch (healthy fats and proteins- woohoo!).