Sweet Potato Fries are a gals best friend!
It’s about time this recipe was posted – a true original gem. I have had a love affair with sweet potatoes ever since yam fries became a thing in restaurants. Shortly after that, I fell in love with baking my own sweet potato fries. I love that sweet potatoes are naturally sweet and delicious, they can satisfy just about any craving. They are especially satisfying during your luteal and menstrual phases as they help flush out excess estrogen from the body and help to balance blood sugar to help with mood swings, cramping and skin health. Besides munching on them with some ketchup or tahini sauce, I love adding sweet potato fries to leafy salads, into quinoa bowls or on my avocado toast.
How to make sweet potato fries has been a highly requested post on the blog, so today I’m sharing my secrets! To make the perfect sweet potato fries, all it takes is a few simple steps to get them right every single time:
Sweet Potato Fries
- 3 large sweet potatoes, cut in half lengthways, again, and then into thinner “fry” sizes.
- 1 glug of avocado oil (this is my favourite oil for cooking sweet potato fries, but you can also use coconut oil. I stay away from using olive oil during cooking unless it has a high smoke point, to avoid damaging the nutrients in the oil)
- Pinch of Himalayan salt and a crack of black pepper
- Optional spices: chilli flakes, all-purpose seasoning, italian seasoning, cumin, etc.
- Preheat the oven to 450F.
- In a bowl, mix the sweet potato fries with the avocado oil, salt, pepper and any extra seasoning you wish to add until evenly coated.
- Spread the sweet potato fries evenly on a large baking tray – make sure they don’t touch so they can bake nicely and become crispy.
- Add the tray to the oven and set the timer for 25 minutes. Flip the sweet potatoes around, once one side is nicely golden brown. Every oven will be different, so keep an eye out to make sure nothing is burning. Bake for another 5-10 minutes, depending on your oven. Test a fry to see if it’s ready.
- Once slightly crispy, (not burnt!), turn off the oven, remove the fries and let them cool for 5 minutes.
- Enjoy with some tahini, ketchup or guacamole to dip!
- Store the leftovers in a tupperware to add to bowls, salads or as snacks.
Did you try this recipe? If so, I’d love to hear from you! Share your creations on Instagram with the hashtag #thepurelife so I can see them.
Love always, Sisley