I’m so excited to bring you a healthy and delicious snack recipe this week! This recipe inspiration came from an obsession with a packaged bar I’ve been buying at the local supermarket, so naturally I just had to recreate it :)
The benefits of healthy fats:
- almonds are a great source of healthy fats. Almonds are also rich in Vitamin E (an antioxidant) which is wonderful for healthy skin. They are also a source of plant-based protein when eaten in conjunction with a variety of whole foods, fruits and veggies.
The benefits of fruits:
- mineral-rich fruits: I love the mixture of dried figs and sultanas in this recipe as they are both foods that I don’t see in my diet often. Dried fruits, eaten in conjunction with healthy fats or protein are a great energy booster and they satisfy sweet cravings like no other! Orange juice and zest give these bars an immune-supporting property, too!
The benefits of superfoods:
- superfoods: Raw cacao and chia seeds take this bar to the next level. Raw cacao is a wonderful source of iron and magnesium and chia seeds are great for digestion.
This easy energy bar recipe is a great vegan and gluten-free snack idea. The bars are packed with energizing ingredients that help to balance blood sugar levels and keep cravings at bay. I hope you love them as much as I do!
Fig, Orange & Cacao Energy Bars
Easy vegan & gluten free energy bars
- 2 cups unsalted almonds
- 200g of dried figs (about 1.5 cups)
- 300g sultanas (about 2 cups)
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- A pinch of Himalayan salt
- The juice of 1/2 an orange
- 2 tbsp fresh orange zest or 1 drop orange essential oil
- 4 tbsp chia seeds
- Step 1 In a food processor, add the almonds and pulse until ground into a flour-like consistency.
- Step 2 Next, add the dried figs, sultanas, raw cacao powder, cinnamon, sea salt, orange juice, orange zest and chia seeds. Blend for 2-4 minutes until the mixture is completely combined (it might start rolling into a big ball – this is good!
- Step 3 Press the mixture firmly into a wide and shallow baking dish, about 1 inch thick.
- Step 4 Put the dish into the freezer to set and remove after 1 hour or so. Slice into bars and then transfer and store in the fridge in a sealed Tupperware for grab and go snacks!
- Step 5 Note: the orange flavour is totally optional!
- Step 6