Let’s talk veggies.
Honestly, is there anything better than a big bowl of roasted veggies? I think they are so underrated. Especially when they’re drizzled with tahini and fresh lemon juice – yes, please. This simple roasted veggie bowl is the perfect cozy meal.
Eating raw veggies is amazing, but it’s also important to include some cooked veg into your diet, especially heart root vegetables like sweet potato, beets, carrots, etc.
Roasting veggies can be:
- Seriously grounding. Cooked food is often associated with being “grounding” or “comforting” and helps to bring us back down to earth.
- Good for digestion. They are often easier to digest because you are breaking down the cellulose by heating them, and giving your digestive system a bit of a break.
- Such a great way to get in a whole whack of veg! Plus roasted veggies are often super kid-friendly.
So, what’s the deal with oil?
I use avocado oil when roasting or cooking at high temperatures because it has a higher smoke point (about 520F), and coconut oil if it’s under 350F. If you find a good quality unrefined olive oil, you can also use this at higher temperatures under 450F. Beneficial nutrients and phytochemicals are found in unrefined oils and we want to keep those intact while cooking. Do not use flax seed oil or walnut oil as these have very low smoke points.
Can I cook without the oil?
Totally! If that’s what makes you feel good, then skip the oil and just roast the veggies as they are! You can add healthy fats afterwards if you like, such as hemp seeds and avocado.
Try these veggies:
- red pepper
- brussels sprouts
- sweet potato
- the list is endless..!
This Simple Roasted Veggie Bowl is epic.
Simple Roasted Veggie Bowl
A simple roasted veggie recipe, paired with quinoa and tahini sauce
- 1 large beefsteak tomato
- 1 medium-sized sweet potato
- 1 small zucchini
- 3 small carrots
- 1/2 head of broccoli
- any other veggies you like to roast
- 1 tbsp. dried Italian herb seasoning, optional
- 1 tsp. all-purpose seasoning, optional
- 2-3 tbsp. of avocado oil
- 1/2 cup of uncooked quinoa
- 1/2 of an avocado, to serve
- 2-3 tbsp. of tahini (sesame seed paste), to serve
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 425F and add the quinoa to a bowl and cover with water.
- Step 2 Chop the veggies into large chunks and add to a large mixing bowl.
- Step 3 Add the avocado oil and any seasonings you would like to add, like dried herbs and seasoning.
- Step 4 Roast the veggies at 425F for about 30 minutes, or until golden brown. The broccoli may need to be removed quicker than the others, so don’t let that burn!
- Step 5 While the veggies roast, rinse the quinoa and add it to a rice cooker with 1/2 cup of water. Cook until fluffy (about 10 mins).
- Step 6 Turn off the oven, remove the veggies from the heat and add to two bowls. Add the scoops of cooked quinoa, top with avocado and drizzle with tahini. Top with salt and pepper. Enjoy!