Say goodbye to boring salad days. This Sesame Spinach Salad is the best addition to your weekly meal prep. It packs away great as a lunch, just make sure to pack the dressing separately.
Why this salad is awesome:
- it’s so easy to make. Almost too good to be true.
- it’s packed with a little bit of everything: fruit, veg, healthy fat, protein. If you want to carb it up, I totally recommend adding a few cups of quinoa – delish!
- it’s packed with Vitamin C, iron and fibre – some of the minerals and vitamins we lack most in our stressful day-to-day lives.
- it’s affordable and perfect for the whole family. Who doesn’t love a good salad?
- 1 small box of organic spinach
- 4 mandarin oranges, peeled
- 1/2 cup of raw unsalted almonds, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup of sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. tamari or coconut aminos
- 1 tsp. sesame oil + more to taste (sesame oil is very strong)
- 1 tsp. dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp. raw honey or pure maple syrup
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
- A shake of chilli flakes
- For a protein-rich salad, see notes
- Assemble the spinach, mandarins, almonds and sesame seeds in a large bowl.
- For the dressing, add all ingredients to a blender and blend well. Alternatively, you can whisk with a fork or shake in a mason jar.
- Add about 1/2 of the dressing, to taste. Finish with salt and pepper.
- If you are taking this salad to-go for lunch, I recommend keeping the dressing separate and adding before you eat it. This keeps it fresh and tasty!
- To add protein to this salad, I recommend adding 1 cup of chickpeas and 3 cups of quinoa.