This recipe is so natural and delicious that you will want to make it just to make your kitchen smell fabulous! Sweet aromas from the tomatoes and spices will bring any pasta dish to life. Try it warm on zucchini noodles or as a cold spread on cucumber slices.
- 3 large vine-ripened tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup fresh or frozen basil, chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper, chopped
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 1 small to medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1/2 bunch parsley, chopped - plus additional to serve
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- In a deep skillet or pan set on medium heat. Bring the oil to temperature and add the chopped onion.
- Sauté the onion for about 5 minutes or until golden.
- Add the chopped tomato, carrot and pepper and turn heat to high, stirring constantly until the carrots begin to soften.
- Turn heat to low and add the chopped parsley and basil, and the tomato paste.
- Stir to incorporate and then occasionally for about 30 minutes.
- For a chunky sauce, leave as-is for immediate use, or transfer to a bowl or jar to cool. For a smooth sauce or spread, transfer cooled sauce to a blender or food processor (don't try blending hot sauce, as the appliance will almost surely flip it's lid) and whiz to reach desired consistency. Re-heat as desired before serving.