If you’re following me on Instagram, you’ll know that this morning I decided to get onto the (new?) food trend, Turmeric Porridge, also known as Your Newest Obsession. This porridge is the perfect addition to your Fall diet. It’s:
- sweet, but not too sweet
- vegan // gluten, dairy & egg free! So it’s an easy staple for your whole family
Food trends come and go, but turmeric lasts forever. For real though, turmeric is one of the easiest things to incorporate into your diet.
Why turmeric is awesome:
- it’s packed with minerals like iron, calcium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, zinc
- it contains vitamins to boost energy and support your immune system like B1, B2, B3 and Vitamin C
- it contains phytochemicals, which are essential in disease prevention
- curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric, is known to fight free radicals, and has an anti-inflammatory & antibiotic effect
- helps to lower cholesterol levels and protects the liver against toxins
- 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup raw quick-cook oats (choose certified gluten-free if necessary)
- 3/4 cup filtered water
- 1/4 cup cashew milk, or coconut milk
- 1/2 ripe/spotty banana, mashed
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp good-quality ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 pinch of himalayan salt, optional
- 1/4 tsp cracked black pepper, to activate the turmeric in your body
- 1-2 tbsp 100% real canadian maple syrup, or raw honey
- 1 tbsp almond or hazelnut butter
- Toppings: sliced banana, hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds.
- On low heat, cook the oats in the water. Add the cashew milk, banana, vanilla and spices and mix until warm.
- Next, add to a bowl and top with maple syrup, nut butter, sliced banana, hemp seeds and pumpkin seeds.
- Enjoy warm or store in a tupperware to reheat for breakfast throughout the week!