This chocolate cherry shake will have you feeling all kinds of summery. The best part about this shake is the coconut whip on top, so I’ve included the instructions for how to make coconut whipped cream below! This post is sponsored by BC Tree Fruits and I have been compensated monetarily for this partnership. It is quite a dream come true to be working with BC Tree Fruits!
How to Pick the perfect cherries
There’s something really special about combining a childhood favourite recipe with a healthy twist. I love using local BC fruit in the summer when it’s in season. They give my recipes the most authentic, rich flavour. These BC Tree Fruits cherries are juicy and packed with goodness, not to mention the gorgeous deep purple hue which packs in a TON of nutrients. These beautiful, dark luscious cherries start the Okanagan’s summer fruit harvest in June and carry the season well into August, so we can enjoy these delicious local fruits all summer long! BC Tree Fruits Cherries are one of our summer staples. I’ve been growing up snacking on them on all of our beach trips, backyard BBQ’s and outdoor adventures. I love bringing local fruit as a gift to friend’s houses or whipping up a chocolate cherry shake as a snack for guests. I also love buying local for health reasons, because the cherries don’t have to travel as far to get from the farm to my kitchen. BC Tree Fruits cherries are premium quality so make sure to look for the Leaf when buying cherries!
The Benefits of cherries
Cherries are packed with antioxidants, making them a perfect beauty food. Antioxidants protect your skin from free radical damage from the sun, chemicals and toxin exposure. They also pack a ton of vitamin C, which helps to naturally boost collagen production in the skin. Cherries are also a good source of fiber, making them a great snack for healthy digestion.
I paired the cherries with raw cacao which is natural, sugar-free chocolate in it’s rawest form. It’s packed with iron and magnesium. It’s blended with coconut milk, which is wonderful for hormone regulation and happy joints. It also has banana, which is a great summer fruit as it’s packed with electrolytes to help with sun exposure.
I hope you love this smoothie just as much as I do. This smoothie is great as a treat to make with friends – try adding a scoop of vanilla coconut ice cream to make it a cherry float. Enjoy, babes!
Chocolate Cherry Shake
Chocolate Cherry Shake with Coconut Whipped Cream
A refreshing & nourishing summer smoothie.
- 1.5 cups of local cherries (I used BC Tree Fruits brand), pits removed
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 cup of light coconut milk
- 2 heaping tbsp of raw cacao nibs or 1 tbsp. of raw cacao powder
- 1 cup of crushed ice
- 1-2 cans of quality full-fat coconut milk, refrigerated overnight
- Step 1 Place the can of coconut milk in the fridge overnight. The coconut cream will solidify at the top. Make sure to buy a good quality organic coconut milk to get the most cream from the can.
- Step 2 Take two glass jars and put them in the freezer until frosted to be the smoothie goddess that you are.
- Step 3 Open the can of coconut milk and scoop the cream from the top. You can use the rest of the coconut milk from the can for the smoothie if you like. Add the cream to a bowl and blend with a hand-held stick blender until whipped (about 2 minutes). Alternatively, you can use a traditional baking mixer or even a food processor or Vitamix, but I haven’t tried those options before.
- Step 4 In a blender, add the cherries, frozen banana, coconut milk, raw cacao nibs or cacao powder (I like the nibs for crunch) and ice. Blend until creamy.
- Step 5 In the frosted jars, scoop a little of the coconut cream into the bottom and swirl around. Pour the smoothie on top, top with more coconut whipped cream and cacao nibs and top it off with a fun paper straw!