This Coconut, Tomato and Lentil Stew is one of our favourite weeknight meals to make in the colder months in Fall and Winter.
This stew is plant based, gluten free and dairy free. It’s made with easy-to-store pantry staples and veggies you can pick up anywhere! We love making our own homemade bone broth once per month, especially during the colder seasons. With the broth, we will make a few different warming dishes such as this Coconut, Tomato and Lentil Stew, miso ramen bowls and curries like this one. You can also use the following!
Healthy broths you can use:
- homemade bone broth (chicken or beef)
- homemade veggie broth (store leftover veggie scraps in the freezer then boil them into a broth at the end of the month and strain)
- store-bought organic low sodium veggie broth
- store-bought quality organic bone broth
Here is the best Coconut, Lentil and Tomato Stew recipe!
The best way to serve this stew is over short-grain brown rice with a handful of wilted spinach, tahini, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
Coconut, Tomato and Lentil Stew Recipe (Vegan, GF)Course: MainDifficulty: Easy
This comforting stew is plant based and gluten free and perfect for winter months! Serve over brown rice with freshly squeezed lemon juice, salt and pepper and a drizzle of tahini.
olive oil, for cooking
1 small red onion, diced
1 garlic clove, crushed and minced
1/2 tsp of each: turmeric, paprika, garlic powder and optional bay leaf
2 large carrots and/or celery stalks, diced
1 large can of lentils
4 cups broth (we used homemade bone broth) or water
1/2 can of coconut cream
around 250ml crushed tomatoes or passata
- Sauté the onion, garlic and spices in the olive oil on medium heat, until translucent. Add the veggies and sauté until soft.
- Add the lentils, broth, coconut cream and tomatoes and let the stew simmer until it has thickened up into a broth (anywhere from 15-30 mins).
- For leftovers, simply heat up a few ladles in a pot and enjoy it over leftover cooked brown rice with a drizzle of tahini, lemon juice, salt and pepper!