When you think of acne, there’s a good chance that you associate it with the face. But body acne is just as common and, – shall I say it? Annoying. But I’m not going to leave you to fend for yourself. You could say, I’ve got your back. Here’s how to get rid of back acne (and prevent it!) holistically.
Cause #1: High Androgens
Here we are, talking about hormones again! Androgens are a group of hormones nicknamed “male hormones” but they are present and necessary in both males and females. However, higher than normal androgens can be problematic for your skin.
Take testosterone for example. Testosterone is an androgen that can lead to excess oil production when it is too high. This commonly shows up on the back as back acne.
What causes high androgens?
One of the most common causes of high androgens in women is PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome) and other hormonal imbalances.
How to get rid of back acne: High androgens – what to do
Talk to your practitioner about your symptoms. With them, you can decide if blood work will be useful to check your hormones and come to a proper diagnosis, if any. It’s important to know the root cause of androgen imbalance (if you have it) so it can be properly addressed.
The good news is, imbalanced hormones and acne can be managed through diet and supplementation with the support of a nutritionist.
Ready to start your acne clearing journey naturally? Grab your copy of The Acne Protocol to begin today.
Cause #2: Hygiene
Let’s be clear: You are not unhygienic if you have acne. Acne is almost always caused by internal factors such as the microbiome, nutrient deficiencies and hormonal imbalances. However, some hygiene habits can make acne better or worse, especially when it comes to back acne.
This is kind of a catch 22, but sweat can be a big contributor to back acne and at the same time it can also be a big help. Let me explain. Sweating can help clear out your pores, but excess sweat in pores that are already clogged with oil and dirt can promote breakouts.
On top of that (literally and figuratively), your clothes can trap that sweat, oil and dirt in and further contribute to back acne.
How to get rid of back acne: Hygiene – What to do
This is not your sign to quit working out. This is your sign to start implementing these easy habits that can help clear and prevent your back acne.
Tip #1: Use the right skincare for back acne
- While showering, use a powerful cleanser on the back, like this one, to help remove trapped oil and bacteria. However, I don’t recommend this for regular use on your face as it is too strong.
- While I don’t love tea tree for the face, it can be incredibly beneficial for the back! Use a simple tea tree + water toner, like this one and spray it on your back after you rinse or on hotter days. Tea tree oil helps to kill bacteria and reduce inflammation.
- A good quality moisturizer will help support a healthy skin barrier function. My go-to acne-safe body moisturizer is from Clearstem.
Tip #2: Prevent clogged pores on the back
- Wear breathable clothing, loose t-shirts or an open-back sports bra to help prevent bacteria from thriving. Wearing high-quality anti-bacterial workout gear can make a difference, too.
- Wear your hair up during your workout! This helps prevent hair oils and product getting into the pores on your back.
- Shower as soon as you get home from a workout and follow the skincare routine in tip #1.
Try these gentle tips and give yourself a pat on the back for taking care of you. You’ve got this!
Ready to clear your acne for good? Grab your copy of The Acne Protocol to begin your journey to clear skin today.