This bolognese recipe is a fun twist on one of the original recipes from the blog, my Comforting Vegan Spaghetti Bolognese. After years of making this recipe, I’ve totally fallen in love with it. Lately, my body has been craving more protein-rich recipes, so the addition of lentils is the perfect touch.
This vegan lentil spaghetti bolognese recipe is:
Packed with protein
This meal is packed with protein-rich plant foods, making this a great option for a balanced lunch or dinner. The protein in this dish will help keep blood sugars stable and help with muscle recovery, making it a perfect option after a good workout or for a solid lunch for a long day ahead!
Perfect for lunch recipes
It’s great as leftovers! Many of you have been asking me for healthy lunch recipes, savoury vegetarian recipes and easy vegan recipes and this one ticks off all those categories! I love making extras of this dish so we can eat it for days after…just heat it up in a pan on the stove and you’ve got a delicious meal in no time.
Nutritious and Delicious!
This spaghetti dish is packed with anti-inflammatory goodness, which
Vegan Lentil Spaghetti Bolognese
A protein-packed plant-based bolognese.
- 1 package of pasta of your choice (I recommend organic whole wheat, quinoa or buckwheat based pasta)
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 small carrots, chopped
- 4 small button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 jar of organic tomato sauce
- pinch of turmeric and smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- salt and pepper, to taste
- a handful of fresh basil, to serve
- Step 1 In a bowl, soak or rinse the red lentils in water. This will decrease cooking time and is better for digestion.
- Step 2 Cook the pasta as per instructions on the package.
- Step 3 Add the onion and garlic to a cast-iron skillet with a glug of olive oil. Saute this for a minute or two until translucent.
- Step 4 Add the carrots, mushrooms and bell pepper and saute for another few minutes. Once fragrant, add the lentils and the spices and continue to stir for a few minutes. Add a splash of water to help the lentils cook.
- Step 5 Add in the tomato sauce and another cup or so of water and cook on low heat until the lentils are fully cooked. Once the bolognese mixture is cooked down (this should take about 20 minutes), add the cooked pasta to the skillet and mix together. Add your salt and pepper if you haven’t already and top with basil. Enjoy!