It’s here!! A classic, delicious and easy banana bread recipe. My vegan chocolate chip banana bread is to die for, made with whole food ingredients and perfect to satisfy those holiday season cravings. I like mine served with a cup of chai tea.
Nutritional Benefits of this Classic Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- I use wholemeal spelt flour instead of regular wheat flour as it contains more minerals, fibre and nutrients. Spelt flour is also easier to digest as the molecular makeup is different than that of regular wheat flour. While both still contain gluten and wheat, spelt is often easier to digest for the gluten-intolerant.
- I love using full fat coconut milk or coconut cream and chia seeds to give this bread an extra nutritious component. Coconut and chia body contain a good amount of healthy fats to help with hormone balancing and healthy skin.
- I usually use eggs in my baking but thought I’d use a flax egg instead to keep it plant-based for those who don’t eat eggs, and it turned out great!
- Spices like cinnamon and nutmeg are not only totally delicious but they’re also anti-inflammatory and immune-supporting!
Now let’s make a classic vegan chocolate chip banana bread!!
Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Classic Vegan Banana Bread.
- 2 cups spelt flour or all-purpose wholemeal flour
- 1 cup coconut sugar or raw sugar
- 1/2 cup full fat canned coconut milk
- 1/3 cup olive oil or coconut oil
- 1/2 cup chopped dark chocolate bar
- 3 ripe spotty bananas
- 2 tbsp chia seeds + 4 tbsp water
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 325F.
- Step 2 In a small bowl, mix the chia with the water and let it sit for a few minutes to thicken up.
- Step 3 In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Mix with a fork.
- Step 4 Mash the bananas with a fork and add them in. The spottier the banana, the more sweetness and beautiful yellow colour it will provide.
- Step 5 Add the coconut milk, olive oil, chia “egg”, vanilla and combine.
- Step 6 Chop up the chocolate bar and fold that in. You could also cut a ripe banana lengthways and add it on top like I did – SO DELISH! Bake for 50 mins and then crank the heat to 350F for the last 10 mins. Remove from the oven and let it cool for 1 hour before slicing. Store in an airtight container for 3 days and in the fridge for 5 days.