This dairy-free pesto recipe is the easiest and most affordable way to enjoy pesto! This recipe is made with whole food ingredients that are easy to find and taste great with anything.
Nutritional Benefits of Pesto
- Fresh herbs like basil and cilantro are natural heavy metal “detoxifiers”. These can help support your digestive, endocrine and immune system
- Firstly, garlic is a powerful beauty food as it is antiviral, antifungal and antibacterial. Secondly, crushing or chopping up raw garlic activates an enzyme called allicin which has incredibly beneficial health properties.
- Extra virgin olive oil helps to support hormones which help to keep your skin glowing and fresh looking
- Lemon juice helps to support the liver by aiding in detoxification of harmful substances and excess hormones
How to Eat Pesto
My favourite ways to enjoy pesto are as follows:
- In a lunchtime salad with fresh greens and in-season veggies.
- In a Meditteranean dish, pasta, salad, whatever!
- On top of freshly baked salmon (add a few tbsp after you’ve cooked it to keep all the goodness and the beautiful green colour alive!)
- In a tofu dish
- On top of avocado toast, in a wrap or sandwich
- Or try it on this salad
Easy Dairy-Free PestoCourse: Spreads and SaucesCuisine: ItalianDifficulty: Easy
A delicious dairy-free pesto recipe.
3 large handfuls (1 bunch) herbs of your choice – I like to use a mix of basil and cilantro
3/4 cup raw unsalted almonds or cashews
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
the juice of 1 lemon
generous amounts of sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- In a blender (Vitamix, Nutribullet, food processor, whatever!) add all of the ingredients and blend until creamy.
- You may need to scrape down the sides in-between blending or add a dash more olive oil, depending on your blender. You can also double the batch if you have a big blender.
- Enjoy fresh on anything you like! Keeps in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- This recipe is super interchangeable. You could use walnuts, Brazil nuts, pine nuts or even hemp seeds in this delicious recipe.