I love veggies in my baking! Zucchini is a personal favourite, especially when paired with nuts or dark chocolate. Today I’m sharing a healthy Zucchini Breakfast Bread which is so delicious on its own or paired with a spoonful of almond butter on top. This low-sugar loaf is packed with fibre (happy digestion), Vitamin C (hello glowing skin!) and sweetened with raw honey (rockin’ immune system). I love the simplicity of this loaf. I hope you love it, too. Let’s make some healthy Zucchini Breakfast Bread!
Why I love this bread for breakfast:
- It’s packed with fibre, protein and healthy fats to help support hormones, digestion and healthy skin.
- Spelt flour contains more nutrients and more fibre than regular wheat flour. This, plus the way that spelt is structured, help make spelt much easier to digest for people who are sensitive to wheat or gluten.
- It’s warming and comforting – because sometimes it’s just too darn cold for a smoothie!
- ceylon cinnamon is known to be naturally blood sugar balancing and anti-inflammatory
If you like baking, you might want to also try these recipes:
- Chai-Spiced Morning Glory Muffins
- Gluten-Free Zucchini Brownies
- Lemon Blueberry Muffins (Vegan and GF)
Zucchini Breakfast Loaf
A delicious low-sugar zucchini bread.
- 2 cups wholemeal spelt flour
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 small zucchini
- 2 pasture-raised eggs or flax eggs for a vegan version
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil (I've also used olive oil or macadamia oil)
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tsp ceylon cinnamon
- 2 pinches sea salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- Step 1 Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Step 2 In a large mixing bowl, combine the spelt flour, oats, walnuts, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Mix well
- Step 3 Grate the zucchini and dry it in a clean dish towel or paper towl. Add to the bowl along with the almond milk, honey and coconut oil.
- Step 4 In a small bowl, whisk the two eggs and then add those in. If you doing a vegan version, you could substitute for a flax egg by combining 2 tbsp ground flax with 4 tbsp water. I haven’t tried it yet but it should work just fine.
- Step 5 Mix everything well, until no clumps are left, but don’t overmix. Add to the oven and bake for 1 hour until golden brown – do the toothpick test. Store in the fridge for up to 1 week. Toast with nut butter or enjoy fresh.