Making friends with salad, I must admit, has been really really hard. Growing up despising most vegetables, including leafy greens, you can’t blame me. It was a struggle at first, but I have finally fallen in love with salad. What I’ve learned: the simpler, the better. This salad is honestly everything. It is a big staple for me because it is just so easy to whip together, pack for lunch or enjoy during a busy day. I love using orange sweet potatoes, but I have recently been buying some locally grown white sweet potatoes which are just unreal. Sweet potatoes are an amazing source of Vitamin A and also provide some Vitamin C, potassium and even a bit of protein too! I love making this salad as colourful as possible and adding different veggies each day to mix things up. I love that this salad is totally affordable too. No fancy ingredients, just easily accessible veggies and a simple dressing. I hope you guys love it!
- About 5-6 large handfuls of organic spring mix greens (or as many as your heart desires)
- 1/2 cup canned and rinsed chickpeas
- 1 small red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 large vine tomato, cubed
- 1 cup of canned corn
- 1 medium sized sweet potato, I prefer white sweet potato
- Optional add-ins: sun-dried tomatoes, avocado cubes, cucumber slices, steamed broccoli
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- A pinch of course sea salt and cracked black pepper
- A squeeze of lemon or lime juice
- 1 tbsp black sesame seeds
- Cut the sweet potato into small cubes and steam for about 5-10 minutes, or until soft with a fork. While you wait for this to cool down, prepare the salad.
- If packing for a lunch, add the greens to a tupperware. Organize the veggies and sweet potato in their own sections around the greens to keep freshness. Mix all dressing ingredients together and store in a separate container. Once ready to eat, shake up well and enjoy cold!
- If eating at home, mix all together and enjoy fresh!