I have recently become a little bit of a protein bar addict. I have absolutely no idea where this craving came from, but I just find them so convenient to snack on! I have decided to take on a mission to make my own protein bars. I love making my Chocolate Coconut Bliss Balls and homemade Lara Bars, but when I stumbled across this recipe, I knew it was going to be a hit. Hemp Seeds are something that have been a part of my diet for the past 3-4 years – I am so in love with them! Hemp seeds have a perfect ratio of Omega 3’s and 6’s. They promote healthy skin and hair, hormone balancing and maintaining good cholesterol levels. They are an excellent source of protein, and easier to digest then animal proteins. And my favourite part? They are grown locally here in Manitoba, Canada! My favourite brand has been Manitoba Harvest for years, they make such a great product. I also happen know they are an excellent source because my extended family grows hemp seeds for the company – how cool is that!?
RECIPE & GIVEAWAY
They have also given me a bag of Hemp Seeds to give away. Head over to my Instagram page for the details and a super simple entry (just tag 3 friends in the post). You can also enter in the comments below, by simply telling me your favourite way to eat Hemp Seeds – I need inspiration!
** this is an adapted recipe. Find the original recipe here.
- 1 & 1/2 cup shredded coconut, toasted
- 1 cup almond or cashew butter
- 1 cup Manitoba Harvest Hemp Hearts
- 1/3 cup 100% real Canadian maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 pinch of sea salt or Himalayan salt
- 1/4 cup cranberries or raisins
- 1/4 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- Pre-heat your oven to 325F.
- Spread the coconut on a baking sheet and bake for 5-10 mins or until lightly toasted.
- While coconut is toasting, mix the other ingredients in a bowl.
- Add the toasted coconut. Mix well.
- Press the mixture into a wax paper lined 8 x 8 baking pan and freeze/refrigerate for at least 3 hours (can do this over night too).
- Once its set lift from pan and cut into 16 squares.
- Store in fridge or pre-wrap in freezer for easy on-the-go snacks!!