We are focusing on #beautyfood this month at The Pure Life and I couldn’t be more excited to share one of my favourite foods for not only beauty but also for immunity, digestion and so much more. Turmeric is one of my favourite spices – I learned how to cook with it in rich, fragrant Indian curry dishes and have included it in my daily diet ever since.
One Rad Root
What is turmeric?
Turmeric is a root. It looks similar to ginger but it is smaller and a bright yellow-orange colour that often stains your white kitchen cloths and clothes. It is often known for its punch and beautiful radiant colour in Indian curries, but it has been widely used all around the world for various dishes. Turmeric lemonade, anyone?
What are the benefits of turmeric?
- It is most known for its incredible anti-inflammatory properties. Disease usually stems from large amounts of inflammation in the body, so eating foods that will help to reduce inflammation (like greens, ginger, turmeric, berries) will help to fight disease.
- Which means it also helps reduce inflammation in the skin – reducing redness, eczema, rosacea, etc.
- It also helps to relieve inflammation in your joints, so it is commonly known for reducing pain after workouts or for those with rheumatoid arthritis.
- it’s packed with minerals like iron, calcium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, zinc
- it contains phytochemicals, which are essential in disease prevention
- curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric, is known to fight free radicals and has an anti-inflammatory & antibiotic effect
- it contains vitamins to boost energy and support your immune system, such as B1, B2, B3 and Vitamin C
- It helps your body digest fats.
- It is known for its incredible anti-cancer properties.
- helps to lower cholesterol levels and protects the liver against toxins
How to Add Turmeric to Your Diet
This is the fun part! Let’s add this nutritional powerhouse to your daily meals to get you feeling amazing so you can #loveyourlifestyle.
// PURE LIFE hack – try these nutritional boosters: Adding powdered turmeric to a curry dish not only gives it a huge punch of flavour but it also packs a ton of nutrients into the dish, add 1/2 inch of turmeric root to a smoothie or juice, add to ginger tea, creamy porridge, homemade muffins or baked goods, bliss balls or raw cashew cheesecakes…the list is endless!
// PURE LIFE tip – supplements: when choosing a turmeric supplement, it is best to choose “curcumin”, the most powerful component of turmeric root, as the base of the supplement. Look for good quality, potent, organic and third party tested.
// PURE LIFE tip – cooking with turmeric: cooking with turmeric can be super frustrating because it stains. Be careful as it will most likely stain your clothes, white dish cloths, wooden utensils etc. I just am extra cautious when cooking with turmeric, just in case! Ps – don’t wear white while cooking! Make sure to always consume turmeric with either a healthy fat (like coconut oil or avocado) or with black pepper, both of which help the absorption of turmeric and increase its’ effectiveness in the body.
Try some of my favourite recipes!
My Glowing Turmeric Elixir Paste is my absolute favourite way to add turmeric to my diet.
Low-Sugar Everyday Smoothie, Glowing Skin Smoothie, Tropical Green Smoothie, Mango Lassi Smoothie Bowl, Turmeric Lemonade, Try this Comforting Chickpea & Kale Hash and this Spiced Turmeric Porridge.