This Protein Quinoa Breakfast bowl will keep you full for hours! It is packed with plant-based protein, seasonal fruit and local honey to combat seasonal allergies. I love this bowl because it’s a hit with everyone – quinoa is a gluten-free seed and a complete protein, which is great for plant eaters, and is a good source of complex carbohydrates to keep you fuelled for the day without spiking your blood sugar. The cinnamon also acts as a great blood sugar balancer, creamy almond butter and coconut are great sources of fat, and local fruit for plentiful phytonutrients to start your day off right!
I can honestly say that this Breakfast Bowl is the easiest thing to whip up. Living in a small cabin this past week in Tofino, BC – a wood cabin nestled on a windy beach with no running water or electricity, I was able to make this breakfast every morning – no problem! I hope you enjoy the recipe as much as I have, and I hope everyone is enjoying the last week of summer!
- 2 cups of cooked tricolour quinoa, cooked with 1 tbsp. cinnamon
- 1 nectarine or peach (or whatever seasonal fruit you desire; banana, berries, mango, pear, apple)
- 250ml dairy-free milk of choice (rice, almond or hemp are my favourite)
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut, ribbon coconut, or toasted coconut chips
- 2 tbsp. almond or cashew butter
- 1 tbsp raw, unpasteurized local honey, creamed
- Dish out 1 cup of cooked quinoa into each bowl. Next, slice the stone fruit, divide and add the fruit, dairy-free milk, coconut, nut butter and honey into each bowl. Enjoy warm with a hot cup of tea!