A healthy dairy free caesar salad recipe Really?
Yes! This salad is, in fact, healthy and delicious. Two can play at this game!
Since many people deal with intolerances to dairy and eggs, I wanted to share a twist on a recipe that I personally loved growing up. My grandpa would make big bowls of homemade Caesar salad dressing with tons of garlic and freshly cracked pepper. This recipe is just as familiar and comforting as a classic Caesar.
This year, I was inspired by two of my favourite health bloggers, Joy from Joyous Health and Angela from Oh She Glows to whip up a healthy plant-based version of a Caesar salad. And oh man, I was not disappointed!
This recipe is:
- packed with healthy fats to balance hormones, reduce inflammation in the body and promote healthy skin
- packed with immune-boosting fresh garlic and black pepper
- super versatile: I love using it on a classic bed of romaine, or switching it up with massaged kale or even in a veggie wrap or a rice bowl.
- so easy to make! You can whip it up in your blender in less than 5 minutes.
- 1 cup raw, unsalted cashews
- 1/4 cup of hemp seeds
- A glug of olive oil (about 2 tbsp)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1 small jar of capers
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast, optional
- Generous amounts of salt and pepper, to taste
- About 1/2 cup water, enough to blend until creamy
- Enough romaine lettuce to serve (can also use finely chopped kale)
- Blend in a high-speed blender or food processor until super creamy. I suggest soaking the cashews in water for 5-10 minutes and rinsing prior to blending.
- Mix about 1/2 of the sauce with the lettuce. Top with generous amounts of black pepper and lemon juice.
I’d love to hear from you! Have you tried this recipe? What did you think?
If you want to try more delicious dairy-free recipes, try these:
- Lentil Spaghetti Bolognese
- Anti-Inflammatory Breakfast Burritto Bowl
- Gluten Free Almond Thumbprint Cookies