This soup is an all-time favourite of mine! It’s been a total staple in my kitchen for years, taking me through each season as the best thing to have in the fridge for leftovers. This Red Lentil Tomato Soup is the best for busy days when you just want to come home and enjoy a warm meal – without all the prep!
I love this soup because it:
- is packed with plant-based protein and nutrients from the red lentils
- contains beautiful vibrant veggies that offer an abundance of phytonutrients to help protect the skin and fight disease
- is easy to make, perfect for leftovers and so incredibly delicious
Let’s make this AMAZING Red Lentil Tomato Soup. But before you go…check out these recipes below!
How to make vegan red lentil soup:
Recipe: Red Lentil & Tomato Soup (Vegan, GF)
2 cups red lentils, preferably soaked
2 tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
Spices: 1/4 tsp ground turmeric, 2 tbsp dried oregano, 1 tsp ground paprika
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 inch ginger root, minced
1 large jar or BPA-free can of chopped tomatoes, marinara or passatta.
chopped veggies: 5-6 vine ripe tomatoes, 1 red bell pepper and optional 2 celery stalks
The juice of 2 lemons, 1 for serving
1 bunch of chopped herbs – I like cilantro, parsley or basil
heaps of black pepper and sea salt, to taste
- In a bowl, rinse and soak the lentils for at least 30 mins or while you prep your ingredients.
- In a large pot on high heat, add the chopped onion and sauté for a few mins. Rinse the lentils and add them to sauté for another few mins.
- Add the chopped garlic, ginger & spices and continue to sauté for another minute.
- Add the veggies and add about 5-6 cups of water, until just covered
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to simmer and add in the lemon juice, half of the chopped fresh herbs and salt + pepper. Let this cook for about 15 mins or so, making sure the lentils are fully cooked and soft. The longer you let the soup simmer, the better the flavours will burst! Try to simmer for longer or add in some extra herbs and spices to make this soup extra flavourful.
- Serve warm with thick slices of sourdough, cracked pepper and sea salt, fresh lemon juice and chopped herbs for a delicious comforting + healthy dinner!!! ENJOY.